Sunday, November 29, 2009


Finally got up early enough to hit the road running, even though I was, once again, up at 2 AM for a little read and snack.

After last night at Green Acres in Redding, (Ron the owner began his conversation with us: "40 years ago my wife left me for our pastor..."), we drove south, south, south - all the way to Mcconnell State Rec Area near Turlock, CA. I like driving in the morning, and had a great run. The country is beautiful - "golden, rolling hills of California" as the song goes.

Speaking of which, I had KD Lang and Journey cranked. Singing away - I love it. Not sure if Tony does. Maybe the hearing aids go down when my pipes are belting.

Stopped for more crap to load up - my current fav buy: generic oreos called "double filled twist cookies" - ha ha! Tony drove us to a funky truck stop at Westly. I spied a Mexican restaurant on the other half of a Subway store. Only gringos in there, got a fantatic fresh spiced port gordita, and Tony a great taco. Then directions from the counter guy to Turlock. Cool - our kind of meal and people.

The drive to Turlock was the back roads, just what we love. Lots of orchards, oranges hanging off the trees, plowed dark acres. Many little towns and straight roads. Reminds me of Lynden.

After setting up at the campsite - we are alone here - saw a feral cat. Took a walk to pay the fee and spied an almost full moon through the box elder trees, and a gorgeous pink/golden sunset over the orchards and under the silouetted mountains.

Oh, and by the way - IT'S SUNNY HERE!!! BLUE SKIES!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Great! Thanks for keeping us posted. I am so glad you are having a great time. We can't wait to see some pictures. Sandi

    ReplyDelete