Friday, December 14, 2012

CATALINA SPA IN DESERT HOT SPRINGS...


November 13, 2012

Have had a few very cold nights, frost in the morning, but sunny days.  Back to shorts and flip flops, thank Jesus!  The California central valley is amazing and fertile.  So many nut trees and tens of thousands of acres of grapes – but not for wine, for raisins!  Who knew?!



We spent the last few nights in some quirky parks, some that we liked, some not so much.  The Sacramento Delta is beautiful, you ride along this high banked levee above the water and many resorts.  The park itself had many strict rules about cats, none of which were followed; Roku spent all of his time at the blackberry hedge looking for mice, happy fella. 

Last night was an off-highway-on-top-of-the-RR-tracks park, tucked away like a little jewel.  The traffic and trains became white noise in our little Eden.  The outer rim of 50 sites are permanent, with one little strip of pull-thrus for us traveling types.  They have an unpersonned office which leaves you to self-register – very odd.  No one ever came around as being in charge, but I kind of like that.  Strict about cats too, so he went out after dark.  Very quiet, lots of trees, too expensive.
Today was a light trip through more fecund valleys and through the Tehachepi mountains.  I sent the Dead song out to friends via text…you know the one!  “Tehachepi to Tonapah, driven every kind of rig that’s ever been made, stuck to the back roads so I wouldn’t get weighed, and if you give me, weed, whites and wine, and show me a sign, I’ll be willin’, to be movin’.” I sang it many times, Tony doesn’t have a clue.  Tonight finds us in Lancaster at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds – excellent parking lot with hook-ups.  Again, Roku happy, even with just a bit o’ dirt.

JACK TONE ROAD - THAT'S US!

HILLS TO TEHACHAPI


November 21, 2012

We are really lazing around the Catalina Spa and RV Park in Desert Hot Springs, CA.  My sleep has been interrupted at least three plus nights a week for various reasons.  My cover stealer partner, cat walking on me with pointed paws until I let him out, worry over … oh, you name it – money, family, friends, me, Tony.  Cripes.  So we sleep late, mess around to about noon, then head out for stuff we want to do, or things we need.

#106. CATALINA SPA

CAT SPA POOL - THERE'S TONY!

CAT SPA VERY HOT MINERAL TUB

The Cats are superb.  Roku is at home wherever we are, happily using the desert as a litter box.  Yes, I pick it up.  Blackie would much rather be outside with Roku, but we just can’t let her out until we can hold her, pet her, take her to a vet.  We need to find out if she’s fixed and chipped.  If we can control her, and she is getting better, we’ll be able to transport her.  She loves, loves rubbing against our legs, and we can now reach down and pet her tail, her back – Tony can even pet the back of her head now! We are still tentative as we don’t like getting our hand shredded when she gets scared.  She does use the litter box too, don’t know where she picked up that skill.

I love riding my bike around the park, it is just so easy breezy and cool.  TC needs his tires inflated but isn’t moving very quickly in that direction.  We go to the pool and spa every day.  It’s a GREAT pool – well there are two, and upper clubhouse and lower, plus three spas.  We stay at the lower pool which is so sweet.  It’s like an aqua cocktail party with maybe five or six groups of two or more, bobbing around chatting.  People move from group to group as conversations interest them, the result being you meet a lot of people and talk about a lot of stuff.

The spa is huge and hot and seems to draw out political discussion.  Yesterday we were with another couple who were talking about where they’re from, etc.  Another Seattle couple, who, enviably, live on a 47’ Stevens in Seattle are outspoken in their liberal bent, and we all kind of made a Romney couple feel uncomfortable and leave the tub.  I mean to touch base with them soon to make sure they understand that we all want good conversation, no matter what side of the circle we stand on.  That spa tub just loves good talk of all kinds.

Just ate a huge steak, salad and spud after another long day at the pool.  It’s so cool to have these circles of talk, talk, talk.  TC noted that today the talking groups are so loud in the pool, you have to talk over everyone.  But we like the action.  It’s alive and makes us feel alive as well.  

Tomorrow is a very special day, one in which we aren’t cooking, cleaning up, or spending time with relatives.  Good old Cat Spa is hosting a turkey dinner and we’re all going!  It’s so good to just ride my old bike up there and enjoy the 12 turkeys they’re making, talk a lot.  Maybe the two accordion players I heard are here will jam a bit!  I love my life!
 _______________________________________________________________
November 22 - 28, 2012

Such a great T Day dinner with alot of peeps.  Our Seattle boating friends saved a place for us and we all cleaned our plates and had a great, long talk.  Waddled back to our relevant rigs, happy with the blessings we had today.

THANKSGIVING DINNER AT CAT SPA

CAT SPA THANKSGIVING LINE

The next week drug me down for some reason.  I was in a slump of blues and anger.  Anytime TC said a word, walked to the pool, ate his dinner, I was pissed.  It took about five days but finally culminated in my very own screaming match, mostly with myself as TC won't engage for long, when he took me to task for not clearing the toilet of pee.  Set me free, it did!

I've also been suffering with a very painful left foot, seems to come on no matter what sandals I wear, or whether I'm walking, swimming, soaking, sitting.  Even wakes me up at night.  Finally located a covered podiatrist, went in somewhat reluctantly as I expected nothing to be found.  Kept thinking it's because I'm fat (that can't help) and my glucose levels are rising, thus causing pre-diabetes foot problems.  Dr. Rothstein is divine.  He is funny, extremely thorough, and brought me almost immediate relief.  He explained that he thinks because my arch is unusually high, the big old fascia muscle and my heel position, all comes together to cause the stuff that surrounds the shit to inflame.  He suggests a cortisone shot, and revisit in two weeks.  Despite what Dr. Corning said, the shot hurt like a motherfucker.

Odd side effect: never got tired last night.  Read an incredibly good James Lee Burke book until 3:00 AM, forced myself to bed.  Up at 4:00 AM to pee. Up at 5:00 AM to pee. Up at 8:00 AM.  

Today was move day, so off we went to Banning, about 20 miles west.  Turning off on the 243 brought us up and up to 4,000 feet of beautiful roadway, to the large, gorgeous, fun-filled Silent Valley RV Park.  We'll be here for two weeks exploring this great area.  Roku in heaven.  Deliriously rode my bike, LOVE it!

BLUE AT SILENT VALLEY, CA

ROKU AT SILENT VALLEY, CA

WIDE OPEN SPACES AT SILENT VALLEY, CA

1 comment:


  1. Very Informative! This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much for sharing this!

    read more

    ReplyDelete