Thursday, August 18, 2011

Did someone say Amish buggy, Amish Oatmeal cookies and Cleveland?

Why yes they did. And we saw them all. Only wish we could have explored Cleveland - what a cool city and environs. Looks like they made the whole industrial district - all those beautiful old brick foundries - into living lofts, work spaces,condos. Very cool.








Got a little carried away with the shoreline cruise, lost time - literally, lost another hour - ended up at our shitty little campsite in East Lyme, OH. It is bad - worn down, used up, lots of permanent live-ins. I guess everyone has to live somewhere, and why not at an RV park with trees, grass and ponds? Kind of uncomfortable when you're on the road and looking for impermanence and vacationers. I've vowed to try and not be as judgemental about this issue.

The GOOD news is, that after days and days of Roku either refusing to go outside at all, or once there, going for what we now call "standing" - as opposed to "walking" - I just took him outside and we sat/laid on the picnic table for about a half hour. He was relaxed and happy.

He is in the habit, now, of waking me up about 7:00 AM each day, by biting my hands. What he's saying is, "No food." "Get up and feed me." "I may want to go outside, probably not, but get up anyway." "I'm up, you get up."

And I comply. Our ritual is: bite me awake, run to bowls to show me there's is NO FOOD!, I use the head, I plug in Nespresso and turn it on, get out half and half, he stares at me and looks at bowls. They are indeed empty - he's a brilliant communicator! I give him dry, water and his "yummy food" - expensive wet food. He chows down, moves away, goes back for more, climbs on counter/table to look out window, eats, drinks, looks out window, eats, flops on floor - sated. This morning he indicated he wants out, hence, the above pleasant experience.

Because of our problems getting him outside, Tony has a brilliant idea - we're getting a screened tent so that we can all sit bug free and enjoy the outside. He can walk around free with us.

After he's taken care of in the morning, Tony continues to sleep until about 9. This gives me the opportunity to blog, catch up on email, shop online, look up our route for the day, think about what we'll be eating, send text messages to Alex and Joey. I also get to watch the day wake up, see how it wants to behave. My blogging is only interrupted by the process of uploading pictures. Sometimes they just take too long and I have to abandon my effort.

Today we'll cut across the corner of Pennsylvania heading for Niagara Falls, NY - do we have time to stop for Buffalo wings in the city who made them famous? I hope so, as the mileage today is a little slimmer. Tomorrow we're on the coast of Lake Ontario at Long Point State Park near Sackets Harbor, NY. Saturday, the Weltons in Burlington, VT!!! Yay! Then the wedding, then we can relax.....



Prior to rockin' Cleveland however, we drove on Rt 6 - one of our favorite little roads - all the way around the shore of Lake Erie. Stunning little burgs along the way, all harkening from the mid 1800's, and multi million dollar homes abutting mobile home parks.

1 comment:

  1. Hats off to our own family's JACKIE KEROUAC On the Road!! Keep 'em coming!

    Seester M

    ReplyDelete